Terrapalha is a natural architecture company based in Sintra and founded by architect Catarina Pinto to innovate ecological architecture in Portugal.
Terrapalha specializes in bio-construction with ecological materials such as straw, wood, earth, stone, bamboo and natural plasters. This construction method intends to eliminate indoor air pollutants, promote natural materials and meet stringent energy, health and environmental guidelines.
However, Terrapalha’s services also extend to:
- Architecture, engineering and ecological construction, including personalized projects and project management.
- Ecological coatings and paints – clay plaster and paints, lime plasters and paints, natural pigments, earth floors, lime floors, Moroccan tadelakt and ecological varnishes.
- Art as a manifesto to raise awareness to natural resources and ecological construction.
- Rehabilitation and restoration with an ecological approach and projects that value the pre-existence and add comfort and a contemporary experience.
- Earth and straw bale buildings.
- Representation of the EcoCocoon prefabricated straw wall elements.
- Consulting and counselling for more informed choices and customized solutions.
- Training in natural construction and workshops for different contexts and publics.
Since 2008, Terrapalha has developed an important work in the field of natural and bioclimatic construction and materials. They have an extensive portfolio including, for example, collaboration with the Boom Festival, exhibitions at the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation in Lisbon and consulting on natural construction for the Tamera eco-village.